“With four decades of leadership experience in both criminal and civil law, I will bring to the Supreme Court bench a depth of knowledge, as well as the temperament and sound decision-making required to serve the people of the Hudson Valley.”
- 38 years of experience in the New York State legal system
- Elected as Rockland County District Attorney three times
- Served 18 years as elected Village Justice in West Haverstraw
- Partner in the firm of the Law Offices of Ferraro and Zugibe, where he specialized in personal injury and commercial litigation
- Served as a Special Assistant Attorney General in the Office of the New York State Deputy Attorney General for Medicaid Fraud Control
- Served as Executive Assistant District Attorney in the Rockland County District Attorney’s Office under District Attorney Kenneth Gribetz
- As Rockland County District Attorney, Tom aggressively prosecuted the worst offenders – not based upon strength or weakness of the case, but on the seriousness of the offense and the offender.
- Under Tom’s direction, the Rockland County District Attorney’s Office aggressively prosecuted complex and challenging cases not pursued by other law enforcement agencies: high-tech cybercrimes, large-scale financial and economic crimes, organized crime and public corruption.
- As District Attorney, Tom developed the most aggressive diversionary and alternative-to-incarceration (ATI) programs in New York State, resulting in a reduction in both the number of felony drug prosecutions and the percentage of the caseload that these cases comprise.
- During his decade-long tenure as District Attorney, the Rockland County District Attorney’s Office maintained an average 96% conviction rate, regularly surpassing the statewide average for felony convictions.
- Tom’s Community Prosecution model received the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys (APA) “Innovative Community Engagement” (I.C.E.) Award, a national honor recognizing individuals and prosecution offices that demonstrate creative leadership in community prosecution.
- In 2011, police departments and prosecutors’ offices in Mesa, Arizona, Newport News, Virginia and Saint Paul, Minnesota each implemented District Attorney Zugibe’s successful Intelligence-Led Community Policing, Community Prosecution and Community Partnerships (IL3CP) model.
- In 2014, Tom led the development of the Partnership for Safe Youth, a collaboration between the District Attorney, Rockland BOCES and the Rockland County Departments of Probation, Mental Health and Social Services. This groundbreaking initiative to enhance the lives of local at-risk teens and their families has since been awarded a $4 million federal expansion grant to redesign the system of care in Rockland County.
- Between 2015 and 2017, District Attorney Zugibe served as President of the District Attorneys Association of the State of New York (DAASNY).
- District Attorney Zugibe was an original member of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Moreland Commission on Public Corruption to probe systemic public corruption and the appearance of such corruption in state government, political campaigns and elections in New York State.
- As Village Justice in West Haverstraw, Tom developed an innovative, nationally-recognized High School Diversion Program in collaboration with the North Rockland Central School District.
- As New York State Special Assistant Attorney General and Executive Assistant District Attorney in the Rockland County, Tom developed reputation as being firm, fair and efficient – justice never delayed.
Tom Zugibe attended Manhattan College and St. John’s University School of Law.
Tom and his wife of 42 years, Peggy, are the parents of four grown children: Tara (Scott) Munson, Kristen (Robert) Kolka, Thomas and Mary, plus the proud grandparents of four grandchildren: Scott, Tyler, Noel and Abigail. They are lifelong parishioners of St. Peter’s Church in the Village of Haverstraw, where Tom serves as a lector and Eucharistic minister.
- Member, Rockland County Bar Association
- Member, past President, the District Attorney’s Association of the State of New York
- Member, New York State Magistrates Association
- Board member, past president of ARC of Rockland
- Board member, Rockland County Youth Bureau
- New York State Bar Association “2018 Prosecutor of the Year” Award
- 2017 Rockland County “Hibernian of the Year”
- 2017 “It Takes a Community Award” from Child Care Resources of Rockland
- Center for Safety and Change, 2016 Distinguished Citizen Award
- 2016 Rockland County School Boards Association President’s Award
- Rockland County Women’s Bar Association 2013 Belle Zeck Award
- Legal Aid Society, 2015 “Champion of Justice” Award